Walpole Power Choice
Welcome to the Walpole Power Choice program, a municipal electricity aggregation program.
Electricity aggregation is a form of group purchasing in which a city or town uses the bulk purchasing power of the entire community to negotiate the best price possible for everyone for the electricity supply portion of your Eversource electric bill.
Electricity supplier transition:
In December, the Walpole’s Power Choice program will change to NextEra Energy Services as its electricity supplier.
- If you are a program participant, this change will be seamless to you. You do not need to do anything. Your account will be automatically in enrolled into the new contract with NextEra Energy, and you will be enrolled with the program option you currently have now. You will see NextEra Energy listed as your electricity supplier on your February 2019 electricity bill.
- If you previously opted out of the program, your account will remain opted out unless you contact NextEra Energy at 1-855-639-8095 and ask them to enroll you.
Under this program, Eversource will continue to deliver electricity Walpole, but Walpole will now use a competitive bid process to choose its own electricity supplier. Walpole has signed an 23-month contract with NextEra Energy that runs from January 2019 to December 2020. As a program participant, your electricity supply price will not change before December 2020.
New electricity supply choices
The program offers two new alternatives to Eversource Basic Service:
- Power Choice Standard: This is the default option. All new Eversource Basic Service customers will be automatically enrolled in Power Choice Standard. Like Eversource Basic Service, Power Choice Standard meets minimum state requirements for integrating renewable energy.
- Power Choice Green: This option gives you 100% renewable energy, all from renewable energy projects in New England. You may choose this option by calling NextEra Energy at 1-855-639-8095.
Participating in the program
All new Eversource Basic Service customers will be automatically enrolled in the Walpole Power Choice program unless they choose to opt out.
At program launch in July 2017, all existing Eversource Basic Service customers were automatically enrolled. Accounts that already had an agreement with a different electricity supplier were not automatically enrolled. If your Eversource electric bill shows Agera Energy is your electricity supplier, you have been enrolled in the program and will be automatically enrolled with NextEra Energy.
If you were not automatically enrolled and wish to join the program:
- Please call NextEra Energy at 1-855-639-8095 and ask to be enrolled. Be sure to have your Eversource bill in your hand when you call.
If you have a new Eversource electricity account in Walpole and wish to be enrolled:
- New Eversource electricity account holders will receive a letter in the mail about the program one to two months after opening the account. You will have 30 days from the mailing date of the letter to opt out of the program before enrollment. If you do not opt out, your account will be automatically enrolled after that 30-day period has completed. If you would prefer to be enrolled sooner, please call please call NextEra Energy at 1-855-639-8095 and ask to be enrolled. Be sure to have your Eversource bill in your hand when you call.
What changes with the program
If you participate, you will see two changes on your Eversource electric bill beginning the month after you enroll:
- NextEra Energy will be listed as your electricity supplier
- The program price will be used to calculate the supplier services portion of your bill.
Otherwise, your primary relationship for electricity will remain with Eversource. This means:
- You will continue to receive one bill from Eversource
- You will continue to call Eversource if your power goes out. Eversource will continue to deliver electricity, restore service after an outage, and maintain the poles and wires.
- If you receive net metering credits on your Eversource bill from solar panels, those will continue to be calculated on the Eversource Basic Service rate, not on the program rate.
- If you are eligible for a low-income discount, you will continue to receive that discount.
If you do not wish to participate
You may opt out of the program before being automatically enrolled or any time after enrollment with no penalty. If you choose to opt out, Eversource will continue to be your electricity supplier, and the supplier portion of your electric bill will remain on the Eversource Basic Service rate.
You may opt out online or by calling NextEra Energy at 1-855-639-8095.