Southborough Community Power Choice
Welcome to the Southborough Community Power Choice program, a municipal electricity aggregation program.
|NEWS: The Town of Southborough has signed a new 24-month electricity supply contract with First Point Power for the Southborough Community Power Choice program. The new contract will take effect in February 2020 as the current contract with Public Power is set to expire and will offer new prices: The new price for Power Choice Standard
will be 10.929 cents/kWh, and the new price for Power Choice Green will be 13.951 cents/kWh.
Electricity aggregation is form of group electricity purchasing for residents and businesses in Southborough. In an aggregation, the Town uses the bulk purchasing power of the entire community to negotiate the best price possible for everyone for the supplier services portion of your National Grid electricity bill, then signs a contract with an electricity supplier on behalf of the community. National Grid will continue to deliver your electricity, but a different company will supply it, and that company’s rate will be used to calculate the Supplier Services portion of your National Grid electricity bill.
Southborough has a contract with Public Power to supply electricity to Southborough through February 2020. Beginning in February 2020, First Point Power will become the electricity supplier for Southborough.
New electricity supply choices
The program offers two alternatives to Eversource’s Basic Service prices:
- Power Choice Standard: This is the default option. All new National Grid Basic Service customers will be automatically enrolled in Power Choice Standard. Like National Grid’s Basic Service, Power Choice Standard meets minimum state requirements for integrating renewable energy.
- Power Choice Green: This optional upgrade gives you 100% renewable energy, all generated by renewable energy projects in New England. Choose Power Choice Green online or by calling customer support at 1-833-272-9591.
Please note: The program cannot guarantee savings compared with National Grid’s Basic Service price. National Grid’s Basic Service price changes every 6 months for residential and commercial accounts and every 3 months for industrial accounts. Future National Grid Basic Service prices are not known. Program participants are free to opt out of the program at any time with no fee or penalty.
Participating in the program
All new electricity customers in Southborough will be automatically enrolled in the Southborough Community Power Choice program, unless they choose to opt out.
If your account is not enrolled, it is likely because either your account was already with another electricity supplier at the time the program launched, or because you opted out of the program. If you wish to enroll in Southborough Community Power Choice, you are welcome to do so. To enroll. please contact customer support with your National Grid electricity account information. Please note: Before joining, we recommend that you check carefully the terms of your agreement with your electricity supplier to be sure you are not charged an early termination fee.
You will see two changes on your National Grid electricity bill beginning the month after you are enrolled:
- Public Power will be listed as your electricity supplier
- The program price will be used to calculate the Supplier Services portion of your bill.
Otherwise, your primary relationship for electricity will remain with National Grid. This means:
- You will continue to receive one bill from National Grid,
- You will continue to call National Grid if your power goes out. National Grid will continue to deliver electricity, restore service after an outage, and maintain the poles and wires.
- If you receive net metering credits on your National bill from solar panels, those will continue to be calculated on National Grid’s Basic Service rate, not on the program rate.
- If you are eligible for a low-income discount or budget billing, you will continue to receive that discount, and you will continue to receive budget billing.
If you do not wish to participate
You may opt out of the program before being automatically enrolled or any time after enrollment with no penalty. If you choose to opt out, National Grid will remain your electricity supplier, and the Supplier Services portion of your electricity bill will remain on National Grid’s Basic Service rate.
You may opt out online or by calling customer support at 1-833-272-9591.