Welcome to Salem PowerChoice, a City electricity program designed to make 100% renewable energy available to City residents and businesses, while also offering stable, predictable pricing for electricity supply.
The program is a form of group purchasing known as electricity aggregation. In an aggregation, the City uses the bulk purchasing power of the community to change the amount of renewable energy in the City’s electricity supply and to determine the price for the community’s electricity supply. Participating in the program will change your electricity supplier and the price that is used to calculate the supply services charges on your National Grid bill.
All National Grid Basic Service customers in Salem are automatically enrolled in Salem PowerChoice unless they choose not to participate, which is known as opting out.
- If you participate: Your primary relationship will remain with National Grid. National Grid will deliver your electricity, fix power outages, and bill you, but Salem will choose your electricity supplier, and the Salem PowerChoice price will be used to calculate the supply services portion of your National Grid electricity bill. National Grid’s delivery services charges will be unaffected by this program.
- If you do not participate: National Grid will remain your electricity supplier, and National Grid’s Basic Service price will be used to calculate the supply services portion of your National Grid electricity bill.
Salem PowerChoice offers participants three options:
- PowerChoice Standard is the default program offering; all new program participants are automatically enrolled in PowerChoice Standard. With PowerChoice Standard, you get 100% renewable energy from a mix of sources.
- PowerChoice Plus is an option that is available upon request. PowerChoice Plus provides 100% renewable electricity, all from renewable energy projects in New England.
- PowerChoice Basic is an option that is available upon request. PowerChoice Basic meets minimum state requirements for renewable energy (14% in 2019).
100% renewable energy
As a program participant, your electricity will be powered by 100% renewable electricity, with a focus on renewable electricity from New England, unless you choose PowerChoice Basic. Focusing on renewable energy from New England supports local jobs and helps to increase the amount of renewable electricity on the New England power grid.
Under the contract with Dynegy, the program prices for all 3 program options are fixed until December 2021. They will not change before then. This price stability makes the program different from National Grid’s Basic Service. With National Grid’s Basic Service, the price used to calculate the supply services portion of your electricity bill changes every 6 months for residential and commercial accounts or 3 months for industrial accounts. Price stability also makes the program different from many commercial offers that you may receive by mail or by phone, which may offer a low introductory price that then rises sharply.
Salem PowerChoice gives you greater control over the price and environmental characteristics of the electricity you buy by giving you three alternatives to National Grid’s Basic Service and other offers in the marketplace.
Salem PowerChoice was designed by the City of Salem with consumer protections such as the ability to opt out at any time with no penalty and restrictions on how the program’s electricity supplier can use your information. In contrast, when you sign a contract on your own with an electricity supplier, that contract was designed by that company to protect them.
Please note: Savings compared with National Grid’s Basic Service cannot be guaranteed. While the program price is known, National Grid’s price changes every 6 months for residential and commercial accounts and every 3 months for industrial accounts. Future National Grid Basic Service prices are not known, and it is likely that for some months, the program price will be higher than National Grid’s Basic Service price. Program participants have the right to opt out, or leave, the program at any time with no penalty or fee.
Your relationship with National Grid
As a program participant, your primary relationship for electricity is with National Grid. Participating in Salem PowerChoice changes only your electricity supplier and the rate you are charged for the supply services portion of your electricity bill. Beginning with your first bill after program enrollment, Dynegy will be printed on your National Grid electricity bill as your electricity supplier, and the program price will be used used to calculate the supply services charges on your National Grid electricity bill. Otherwise:
- Your bill will come from National Grid.
- You will send bill payments to National Grid.
- You will call National Grid if your power goes out.
If you are on a budget plan or are eligible for a low-income delivery rate or fuel assistance, you will continue to receive those benefits as a participant in Salem PowerChoice.
How to join the program
New in the City? All new electricity accounts in Salem will be automatically enrolled in Salem PowerChoice within a few months of being opened. You will receive a letter in the mail explaining the program and your right to opt out. If you do not opt out, you will be automatically enrolled in PowerChoice Standard.
Adding an electricity account? You will receive a letter in the mail explaining the program and your right to opt out. If you do not opt out, your new electricity account will be automatically enrolled in PowerChoice Standard.
Want to change from your current electricity supplier to Salem PowerChoice? To enroll, please contact customer support. However, we recommend that you carefully check the terms and conditions of your existing electricity supply agreement before joining to be sure you will not be charged an early termination fee.