Nantucket PowerChoice Program
Welcome to Nantucket PowerChoice, a local electricity program that gives Nantucket residents and businesses an electricity supply option that provides specific community benefits, such as cost savings, price stability, strong customer protections, increased competition, and support for local solar projects.
|Program News: With May 2020 meter reads, the Nantucket PowerChoice contract with Direct Energy will come to an end, and participants will be automatically enrolled in a new contract with a new electricity supplier, Dynegy. No action is required.
The new contract will include new prices, which reflect changes in the electricity market and in regulatory costs since the contract with Direct Energy was signed. View the new prices.
The program is a municipal electricity aggregation, a form of group purchasing in which a municipality competitively procures an electricity supplier on behalf of its residents and businesses.
All new National Grid Basic Service customers in Nantucket will be automatically enrolled in Nantucket PowerChoice unless they choose not to participate, or opt out.
- If you participate: You will see Dynegy and the program price under “Supply Services” on your National Grid bill beginning the month after you are enrolled. Delivery charges will be unaffected. (If you are not a National Grid Basic Service customer, you will not be automatically enrolled, but you are invited to opt in. To enroll the program, please enroll online or contact customer support.)
- If you do not participate: You may opt out of the program before being enrolled or any time afterward with no penalty. If you opt out before being enrolled, you will remain on National Grid’s Basic Service price. If you opt out after being enrolled, you will be returned to National Grid’s Basic Service price. Learn how to opt out.
Potential Cost Savings
The program price has the potential to be below National Grid’s Basic Service price. However, National Grid’s prices change every 6 months for residential and commercial customers and every 3 months for industrial customers. Nantucket PowerChoice will eliminate that seasonal volatility with a fixed program price, but that price may not always be below the National Grid Basic Service price. As a result, savings cannot be guaranteed.
The competitive procurement process ensures a vetted, transparent alternative to National Grid’s Basic Service with no hidden costs.
Nantucket PowerChoice offers two alternatives to National Grid’s Basic Service:
- PowerChoice: This is the default option. All program participants are automatically enrolled in PowerChoice. Like National Grid’s Basic Service, PowerChoice meets the minimum Massachusetts requirements for integrating renewable energy.
- PowerChoice Green: This option allows you to make your electricity 100% green with a focus on renewable energy produced in New England.
Your relationship with National Grid
Your primary relationship for electricity remains with National Grid.
- Your bill will continue to come from National Grid.
- You will continue to send bill payments to National Grid.
- You will continue to call National Grid if your power goes out.
If you are on a budget plan or are eligible for a low-income delivery rate or fuel assistance, you continue to receive those benefits as a participant in Nantucket PowerChoice.