Grafton Energy Choice
|IMPORTANT NOTE: The Town of Grafton will have an public discussion about amending the Grafton Energy Choice aggregation plan at the Board of Selectmen meeting on April 17, 2018. The public is invited to download and review the revised plan, and to submit comments on the revisions either in person at the Board of Selectmen meeting or via email by April 17. Email comments can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.|
Welcome to Grafton Energy Choice, the Town’s municipal electricity aggregation program.
Electricity aggregation is a form of group purchasing in which a city or town selects an electricity supplier on behalf of its residents and businesses. The program impacts the electricity supply charges on your National Grid bill. Grafton developed the program as a way to provide price stability and cost savings to the community.
All National Grid Basic Service customers in Grafton will be automatically enrolled in Grafton Energy Choice unless they choose not to participate, which is known as opting out.
- If you participate: National Grid will deliver your electricity, fix power outages, and bill you, but they will not be your electricity supplier. Instead, Grafton will choose your electricity supplier. Grafton has negotiated a 19-month contract with Public Power, LLC, for 9.104 ¢/kWh, which began in March 2017. Your National Grid bill will show this as your electricity supply rate. Delivery charges will be unaffected by this program.
- If you do not participate: National Grid will be your electricity supplier. This is known as National Grid Basic Service.
Grafton Energy Choice offers participants two options:
- Energy Choice Standard: This is the default option. All program participants are automatically enrolled in Energy Choice Standard. Like National Grid Basic Service, Energy Choice Standard meets the minimum Massachusetts requirements for integrating renewable energy.
- Energy Choice Green: This option allows you to make your electricity 100% green with a focus on locally produced renewable energy. Energy Choice Green includes 20% from new renewable energy projects in New England, in addition to the 12% required by Massachusetts law.
Grafton has negotiated an electricity supply price that is below current National Grid Basic Service rates. However, National Grid residential and commercial prices change every six months, and industrial prices change monthly. As a result, the program price will likely not always be below the National Grid Basic Service Price.
The Grafton Energy Choice program goal is to deliver savings when compared with the average of National Grid’s changing prices.
The program offers two new alternatives to National Grid Basic Service: Energy Choice Standard and, for those who wish to make a more significant commitment to renewable energy, Energy Choice Green, which is 100% green. Learn more about the pricing and energy mix for each option.
Your electricity supply price will not change before your October 2018 meter read. (National Grid prices change twice a year or more, depending on rate class.) All program terms are public, and there are no hidden costs.
Your relationship with National Grid
Your primary relationship for electricity will be with National Grid. Participating in Grafton Energy Choice impacts only your electricity supplier and the rate you are charged for the electricity supply portion of your National Grid bill. Beginning with your first bill after program enrollment, you will see Public Power printed as a line item for supply services, and you will see the program rate for your electricity supply rate. Otherwise:
- Your bill will come from National Grid.
- You will send bill payments to National Grid.
- You will call National Grid if your power goes out.
If you are on a budget plan or are eligible for a low-income delivery rate or fuel assistance, you will receive those benefits as a participant in Grafton Energy Choice.
How to join the program
All eligible residents and businesses will be automatically enrolled in the program. Eligible customers included residential and commercial National Grid Basic Service customers within the geographic boundaries of Grafton.
New in town? New Grafton residents who become National Grid Basic Service customers are eligible to participate in the program. You should receive a letter in the mail explaining the program and your right to opt out. If you do not opt out, you will be automatically enrolled. As an alternative, contact Public Power at 1-800-830-2944 and ask to join.
Adding an electricity account? You will receive a letter in the mail explaining the program and your right to opt out for that account. If you do not opt out, your new electricity account will be automatically enrolled in the program.
Have a contract with a different electricity supplier? Contact Public Power at 1-800-830-2944 and ask to join. We recommend that you carefully check the terms and conditions of your supplier agreement. Your ability to terminate your agreement with your supplier may be restricted.