|Electricity supplier transition information:
The Cambridge Community Electricity Program contract with Agera Energy ended in January. The program has now transitioned to Direct Energy for its electricity supplier. You will see Direct Energy and new program prices on your Eversource electricity bill.
The Cambridge Community Electricity program is a City electricity program that supports the development of local renewable energy projects, offers the potential for savings, and provides a City-vetted alternative to Eversource’s Basic Service and to other electricity offers in the market place.
The program is an electricity aggregation, a form of group electricity purchasing. In the Cambridge Community Electricity Program, Eversource continues to deliver electricity to Cambridge, but the City chooses an electricity supplier for residents and businesses, determines the amount of renewable energy in the community’s electricity supply, and secures a price for the supply portion of participants’ electricity bills.
Please note: Eversource’s price changes every 6 months for residential and small commercial customers and every 3 months for large commercial customers. Future prices are not known. As a result, savings cannot be guaranteed compared to Eversource’s Basic Service price.
Adding clean energy to the local grid
All program participants will receive additional renewable electricity, above the minimum amount required by the state of Massachusetts. Additionally, participating in the program will support the development of a new solar energy project in Cambridge.
The program offers two options:
- Standard Green: The default offering. Standard Green participants receive the minimum amount of renewable energy required by the state, all from projects in New England. In addition, participants contribute directly to the development of a new solar project in Cambridge through a small $0.002/kWh charge and will receive additional renewable electricity from the new solar project, over and above the state-required minimum, once the project is up and running. The contribution to the new solar project brings new renewable energy to the grid and can help displace fossil fuel power production.
New Eversource Basic Service customers in Cambridge will be automatically enrolled in Standard Green unless they choose 100% Green Plus or opt out of the program.
- 100% Green Plus: You may choose this option. 100% Green Plus participants receive 100% renewable energy, all from projects in New England by having 100% Massachusetts Class I RECs purchased on their behalf. In addition, 100% Green Plus participants contribute directly to the development of a new solar project in Cambridge through a small $0.002/kWh charge and will receive additional renewable electricity from that project once it is up and running. The purchase of additional RECs over and above the minimum required by the state of Massachusetts helps to create a stronger market for renewable energy generated by renewable energy projects in New England. The contribution to the new solar project brings new renewable energy to the grid and can help displace fossil fuel power production. Learn more about program options and pricing.
Participating in the program
All new Eversource Basic Service customers are automatically enrolled in the Cambridge Community Electricity program, unless they choose to opt out.
New Eversource electricity account holders will receive a letter in the mail about the program one to two months after opening the account. You will have 30 days from the mailing date of the letter to opt out of the program before enrollment. If you do not opt out, your account will be automatically enrolled after that 30-day period has completed.
If you are not a new account holder and you wish to join the program, call Direct Energy at 1-866-968-8065 and ask to be enrolled. Be sure to have your Eversource bill in your hand when you call.
What changes with the program
If you participate, you will see two changes on your Eversource electricity bill beginning the month after you enroll:
- Direct Energy will be listed as your electricity supplier
- The program price will be used to calculate the supply portion of your bill.
Otherwise, your primary relationship for electricity will remain with Eversource. This means:
- You will continue to receive one bill from Eversource. This is the only electric bill you will receive as a participant in the program.
- You will continue to call Eversource if your power goes out. Eversource will continue to deliver electricity, restore service after an outage, and maintain the poles and wires.
- If you receive net metering credits on your Eversource bill from solar panels, those will continue to be calculated on the Eversource Basic Service rate, not on the program rate.
- If you are eligible for a low-income discount, you will continue to receive that discount.
If you do not wish to participate
You may opt out of the program before being automatically enrolled or any time after enrollment with no penalty. If you choose to opt out, Eversource will continue to be your electricity supplier, and the supply portion of your electricity bill will remain on the Eversource Basic Service rate.
You may opt out online or by calling Direct Energy at 1-866-968-8065. Have your Eversource account number ready when you call.
Protect your Eversource account number
Eversource will never knock on your door
Only provide your Eversource account number
NOTE: Cambridge Community Electricity program volunteers may ask if you are interested in switching to 100% Green Plus electricity. They will be clearly identified as City volunteers. City volunteers will have you enter your account information directly onto the program’s web form or provide it directly to the supplier via phone.