Southborough Community Power Choice
Welcome to the Southborough Community Power Choice program, a municipal electricity aggregation program.
Electricity aggregation is form of group electricity purchasing for residents and businesses in Southborough. In an aggregation, the Town uses the bulk purchasing power of the entire community to negotiate the best price possible for everyone for the supplier services portion of your National Grid electricity bill, then signs a contract with an electricity supplier on behalf of the community. National Grid will continue to deliver your electricity, but a different company will supply it, and that company’s rate will be used to calculate the Supplier Services portion of your National Grid electricity bill.
Southborough has signed a 24-month contract with Public Power to supply electricity to Southborough from February 2018 through February 2020.
New electricity supply choices
The program offers two new alternatives to Eversource Basic Service:
- Power Choice Standard: This is the default option. All National Grid Basic Service customers will be automatically enrolled in Power Choice Standard. Like National Grid’s Basic Service, Power Choice Standard meets minimum state requirements for integrating renewable energy.
- Power Choice Green: This optional upgrade gives you 100% renewable energy, all generated by renewable energy projects in New England. You may choose this option by calling Public Power at 1-800-830-2944 and requesting it.
Participating in the program
All Southborough electricity customers on National Grid’s Basic Service will be automatically enrolled in the Southborough Community Power Choice program with their February 2018 meter read, unless they choose to opt out. You are a National Grid Basic Service customer if you have not signed your own agreement with an electricity supplier, and Basic Service is listed in the Supplier Services portion of your National Grid electricity bill.
If you have already signed a contract with an electricity supplier, your electricity account will not be automatically enrolled in the program. However, you are invited to join the program at any time. To enroll, please call the program’s electricity supplier, Public Power, at 1-800-830-2944. Please note: Before joining, we recommend that you check carefully the terms of your agreement with your electricity supplier to be sure you are not charged an early termination fee.
You will see two changes on your National Grid electricity bill beginning the month after you are enrolled:
- Public Power will be listed as your electricity supplier
- The program price will be used to calculate the Supplier Services portion of your bill.
Otherwise, your primary relationship for electricity will remain with National Grid. This means:
- You will continue to receive one bill from National Grid,
- You will continue to call National Grid if your power goes out. National Grid will continue to deliver electricity, restore service after an outage, and maintain the poles and wires.
- If you receive net metering credits on your National bill from solar panels, those will continue to be calculated on National Grid’s Basic Service rate, not on the program rate.
- If you are eligible for a low-income discount or budget billing, you will continue to receive that discount, and you will continue to receive budget billing.
If you do not wish to participate
You may opt out of the program before being automatically enrolled or any time after enrollment with no penalty. If you choose to opt out, National Grid will remain your electricity supplier, and the Supplier Services portion of your electricity bill will remain on Naitonal Grid’s Basic Service rate.
You may opt out online or by calling Public Power at 1-800-830-2944.