Nantucket PowerChoice Program
|Please note: The Town has procured a new electricity supply contract with Direct Energy for 9.05¢/kWh for 24-months, which will take effect with May meter readings. The transition to the new rate will be automatic and seamless for all current program participants.
If you are not active in the program now but you wish to enroll:
Welcome to Nantucket PowerChoice, a local electricity program that gives Nantucket residents and businesses an electricity supply option that provides specific community benefits, such as cost savings, price stability, strong customer protections, increased competition, and support for local solar projects.
The program is a municipal electricity aggregation, a form of group purchasing in which a municipality competitively procures an electricity supplier on behalf of its residents and businesses. Through a solicited bidding process held in March 2018, the Town chose to execute a 24-month contract with Direct Energy for 9.05 ¢/kWh. This price will be reflected in the “Supply Services” charges on your National Grid electric bill from May 2018 through May 2020.
PLEASE NOTE: Although the program’s electric supplier is Direct Energy, National Grid remains Nantucket’s electric utility company for electricity delivery, power outage repairs, customer service and billing.
All new National Grid Basic Service customers in Nantucket will be automatically enrolled in Nantucket PowerChoice unless they choose not to participate, or opt out.
- If you participate: You will see Direct Energy and the program price under “Supply Services” on your National Grid bill beginning the month after you are enrolled. Delivery charges will be unaffected. (If you are not a National Grid Basic Service customer, you will not be automatically enrolled, but you are invited to opt in. To opt into the program before May 1, 2018, you may add yourself to the enrollment waiting list by submitting a request through the customer support form. You will be contacted by Direct Energy after May 1 to confirm your enrollment.)
- If you do not participate: You may opt out of the program before being enrolled or any time afterward with no penalty. National Grid Basic Service customers who do not participate will remain on National Grid’s Basic Service rate. Learn how to opt out.
The Town has negotiated an electricity supply price that is below current National Grid Basic Service rates. However, National Grid residential and commercial prices change twice a year or more, depending on rate class. Nantucket PowerChoice will eliminate that seasonal volatility with a fixed program price, but that price may not always be below the National Grid Basic Service price. The program goal is to deliver savings when compared with the average of the changing Basic Service prices across all months of the contract with Direct Energy.
The competitive procurement process ensures a vetted, transparent alternative to National Grid’s Basic Service with no hidden costs.
Nantucket PowerChoice offers two alternatives to National Grid’s Basic Service:
- PowerChoice: This is the default option. All program participants are automatically enrolled in PowerChoice. Like National Grid’s Basic Service, PowerChoice meets the minimum Massachusetts requirements for integrating renewable energy.
- PowerChoice Green: This option allows you to make your electricity 100% green with a focus on renewable energy produced in New England.
Your relationship with National Grid
Your primary relationship for electricity remains with National Grid.
- Your bill will continue to come from National Grid.
- You will continue to send bill payments to National Grid.
- You will continue to call National Grid if your power goes out.
If you are on a budget plan or are eligible for a low-income delivery rate or fuel assistance, you continue to receive those benefits as a participant in Nantucket PowerChoice.
How to join the program
At program launch in March 2017, all residents and businesses on National Grid’s Basic Service were automatically enrolled in to Nantucket PowerChoice. Since then, the program has continued to automatically enroll all new National Grid accounts, typically within two to three billing cycles of the account being opened.
Have a contract with a different electricity supplier? You will not be automatically enrolled in the program, but you are welcome to join. Before joining, we recommend that you carefully check the terms and conditions of your supplier agreement. Your ability to terminate your agreement with your supplier may be restricted. If you wish to join before May 1, 2018, you may add yourself to the enrollment waiting list by submitting a request through the customer support form. You will be contacted by Direct Energy after May 1 to confirm your enrollment.
New to the island? In opening a new account, you will initially be placed on National Grid’s Basic Service. You will receive a letter in the mail explaining Nantucket PowerChoice and your right to opt out. If you do not opt out, your account will be automatically enrolled into the program, typically within two to three billing cycles of being opened. To request faster enrollment, you may also contact the program electricity supplier, Direct Energy directly.
Adding an electricity account? You will receive a letter in the mail explaining the program and your right to opt out for that account. If you do not opt out, your new electricity account will be automatically enrolled in the program, typically within two to three billing cycles of being opened. To request faster enrollment, you may also contact the program electricity supplier, Direct Energy directly.