Acton Power Choice
Welcome to the Acton Power Choice program, a Town electricity program that increases the amount of renewable energy in your electricity and gives you the potential for savings on the supplier services portion of your Eversource electric bill.
The program is an electricity aggregation, a form of group purchasing in which the town uses the bulk buying power of the entire community to negotiate an electricity supply price for everyone. With the Acton Power Choice program, Eversource will continue to deliver electricity to Acton, but the Town will now use a competitive bid process to choose its own electricity supplier.
To launch the program, Acton has signed a 24-month contract with Dynegy that will be in effect from September 2017 meter reads until September 2019 meter reads.
New clean-energy choices
The program offers two cleaner-energy alternatives to Eversource Basic Service and to electricity supply offers in the marketplace:
- Power Choice Standard: The default offering. Includes an additional 5% renewable electricity generated by projects in New England (Massachusetts Class I RECs), over and above the minimum required by the state. Eversource Basic Service customers will be automatically enrolled in Power Choice Standard.
- Power Choice Green: A 100% renewable energy option, all generated by renewable energy projects located in New England (100% Massachusetts Class I RECs). You may upgrade to Power Choice Green by calling Dynegy at 1-866-220-5696.
Participating in the program
As provided by state law, all Eversource Basic Service customers will be automatically enrolled in the Acton Power Choice program with their September 2017 meter read, unless they choose not to participate.
If you already have an agreement with an electricity supplier, you will not be automatically enrolled, but you can join the program with a phone call. To join, call Dynegy at 1-866-220-5696 and ask to be enrolled.
If you participate, the program price will apply to your electricity use beginning in September 2017, and you will see two changes on your Eversource electric bill beginning in October 2017:
- Dynegy will be listed as your electricity supplier
- The program price will be used to calculate the supplier services portion of your bill.
Otherwise, your primary relationship for electricity will remain with Eversource. This means:
- You will continue to receive one bill from Eversource
- You will continue to call Eversource if your power goes out. Eversource will continue to deliver electricity, restore service after an outage, and maintain the poles and wires.
- If you receive net metering credits on your Eversource bill from solar panels, those will continue to be calculated on the Eversource Basic Service rate, not on the program rate.
- If you are eligible for a low-income discount, you will continue to receive that discount.
If you do not wish to participate
You may opt out of the program before being automatically enrolled or any time after enrollment with no penalty. If you choose to opt out, Eversource will continue to be your electricity supplier, and the supplier portion of your electric bill will remain on the Eversource Basic Service rate.
You may opt out online or by calling Dynegy at 1-866-220-5696.